Monday, August 22, 2011

coffee, thrift store finds, and art supplies

Money is going to be spent everyday, we choose that.
So the better question is what are we going to spend our money on?

Something fading or something investing? Something lasting?
Because we can talk and talk all day about how we don’t have the money to give and invest in the Kingdom. Or we may not even say we don't have the money, we just blatantly run away from it. So when I asked myself this question, I had to take a step back and really ask myself.
WHAT do I spend my money on?

Here is the list that I came up with:

Coffee
Thrift store finds
Art supplies

And yes, if I look back at my bank account, this is literally the ONLY thing that is spent (welcome to a small income, which I love!)

And so then I began to ask myself, yes…some of those things are investing in something lasting. Take a long conversation over coffee with a friend, talking about The Living Room (soon to come!) and praying with them through struggles. Or just enjoying the company of friends and being joyful. Lasting. But some are NOT. They really aren’t wrong things, but where can I invest in a lasting move?

My parents have blessed me TREMENDOUSLY this summer by providing a free place to stay, free food (and for those of you who know my mom, this is not some freezer meal), and gas for the sweet mini van I drive! :) Through them investing in me and my life, I have been freed to give. Freed to give because I have been given to.

But even in that, like I have said over and over, just because I am a missionary, living off of others support, I AM STILL CALLED TO GIVE. Missionaries were not exempt, seriously. Where did we get that idea?

So where can I give?

And Jesus is so creative, I love that about Him. He said, “You know those paintings that you sell? Why don’t you give all that money away and monthly support people?”
Hmm. I like that idea Jesus!

And I don’t say this at all to be like oh lalala boast in me, but I say this as an encouragement to ask yourself this question. Where has He blessed me, where has He gifted me? And how can I invest that back to the Kingdom?
It REALLY is fun giving! It’s freeing and isn’t He worth it?! I wish I could write with joy that you could feel, because I am freed to give and to love and to be…because He chose me! He chose me to love, that I can’t love without Him. So when I receive that love, I am moved…and I give because that’s what Jesus does.

I can’t change your heart, I can only say it so many times, but let that little conviction in your heart be Jesus saying, “give.” Trust me, who says it makes sense?
I just read a blog by my friend Sabrina Tubbs, who is an incredibly talented photographer, and she gave away her camera! Why? Because Jesus told her. Because as a Father, He loves to give.

Now what is He telling you? 




I've been reading through Mark, its pretty swell. My heart leaps when I read this:
Mark 4:24- And He said to them, Take heed what you hear; with what measure you measure it will be measured to you; and increase especially to them who hear.


He's a good Father

No comments:

Post a Comment